The WV Room

Marge and Billy Burke Display
The Robert F. Kidd Library
Berlin B. Chapman
Special Collections Room

(WV Room)
Dedicated April 29, 2000.
Most of the Robert F. Kidd Library‘s materials relating to West Virginia, Gilmer County, and Glenville are found on second floor in the Berlin B. Chapman Room.
These materials include West Virginia reference books, circulating materials, non-circulating rare items, as well as bound and microfilmed copies of the local Glenville Democrat newspaper with library created indexes and obituary indexes (1905- ), Glenville State College (GSC) historical information including its Mercury newspaper, the Charleston Gazette on microfilm (1963- ), and various journals associated with West Virginia and the West Virginia State Code. Beyond its main emphasis, this room also houses several special collections including:

  • The Berlin B. Chapman Collection – this noted historian and 1922 graduate of Glenville Normal School remembered his alma mater by willing the college funds necessary for creating the special collections room and provided these materials representing his publications and his life non-circulating).
  • The Edgar Rice Burroughs Collection – over 50 books written by the prominent science-fiction writer, many still with their original book jackets (non-circulating).
  • The Jesse Stewart Collection – a nice collection of Jesse Stewart novels donated by Barbara Sturm in December of 1993 (non-circulating
  • Albert N. West Architect Drawings – donated by his son Karl W. West in December of 1997 – architectural drawings created by Albert N. West represent many of the prominent homes and businesses built in Glenville and the surrounding areas in the early 1900s.
  • Normal School Collection – from GSC’s early years while still a normal school (non-circulating)
  • Special Collections – pre-1900 books that are not a part of the Normal School Collection (non-circulating).
  • Pioneer Publications – published materials of faculty, staff or students associated with GSC.
  • Archive Collection – items donated by friends of GSC to help keep history a living memory in today’s society (non-circulating).

A small round table made for GSC’s first president, T.M. Marshall by William Harrison Snyder, provides a cozy reading corner (if one wants to cool off in the climate controlled room). Also for viewing is a framed 1966 survey map of the Glenville Cemetery which is partially located on campus.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: